The first public library in the Merricks was founded in 1891 and consisted of about 50 books housed in a barn. The library was formally incorporated in 1897.
Although the Merrick Public Library was funded through tax dollars paid by the residents of Merrick, the library also offered its services initially for free to their neighbors in North Merrick. When the population of both Merrick and North Merrick grew substantially to eventually rival one another, the Merrick Public Library began to charge the residents of North Merrick a non-resident fee to use the library.
In response to the growing need for library services in the North Merrick community, the North Merrick Public Library was established by a community vote on November 21, 1964 and was granted a Provisional Charter on January 28, 1965.
The North Merrick Public Library initially opened as a storefront on December 5, 1965 at 1148 Merrick Avenue, and remained there for its first ten months. Then the newly formed library relocated to Meadowbrook School where it opened its doors on October 3, 1966.
The library celebrated its 50th year anniversary in 2016.